Fish oil is rich in two groups of Omega-3 fatty acids. Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) and Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA). These fatty acids help keep cell walls permeable. Excessive saturated fats and Omega-6’s cause cell walls to become rigid, unhealthy and don’t allow nutrient transfer.
Why take Fish Oil?
- Improved Cell Membrane Health
- Improved Cardiovascular Health
- Reduce Inflammation
- Decrease Blood Pressure
- Increase Serotonin Levels
- Brain Development
What to look for when choosing fish oil supplements?
- Purity: Must meet international standards for testing heavy metals.
- Freshness: Omega 3’s can go rancid, make sure the expiration date has not passed.
- Potency: EPA/DHA levels should be >300mg per 1000mg capsule
- Sustainability: Fish oil should come from smaller sustainable fish such as mackerel, sardines.
- Cost: Quality testing is expensive and the cost should be reflected in the cost of the supplement.
Brands we like!
- Designs for Health
- Poliquin Group
- Carlons Labs
- Nordic Naturals
For more nutrition and personal supplement protocols schedule a BioSignature Consultation with your trainer.